False eyelashes are an absolute must for all make-up artists’ kit bags. They are invaluable when doing a 1960s or 1970s make-up and are often used in catwalk, pop video and editorial shots.
False eyelashes can be made from colors. The lashes made from nylon fibre hold a premanent curl for a longer time than natural hair and are more cost effective than real hair lashes, which tend to be very expensive. False lashes are attached close to the model’s natural lash roots, with adhesive on the eye lid, imitating the natural eyelashes and making the lashes appear longer and thicker, thereby drawing attention to the eye. There are two main types:
1.Semi-permanent individual lashes-designed to be worn for approximately 4-6 weeks.
2.Strip lashes-designed to be worn for a short period, either a day or an evening.
Using false lashes can:
- make natural lashes look longer and thicker
- add definition to the eye area
- enhance photographic make-up
- enhance an evening or fantasy makeup
- complete a corrective makeup – adding shape and depth
- provide an alternative eyelash-enhancing effect for a model who is allergic to mascara(providing they are not allergic to the adhesive used in applying them!)
Factors to consider when choosing:
- the model’s natural lashes. Does the model have short or long lashes? Sparse or thick? Curly or straight? Choose lashes that complement the natural lash, the model’s hair and skin tone.
- the model’s age: artificial lashes careate a very bold, dramatic effect, which can make an older model look harsh. False lashes should enhance the model’s appearance.
- the occasion for wearing false eyelashes: this can determine whether individual or strip lashes are more appropriate, for example individual for corrective , long-term use, or strip lashes for an evening out, a photo shoot or for a fantasy makeup.
- Maintenance of the lashes- strip lashes require little maintenance as no special product is needed for removal and they can be reused, making them a cost effective product. Individual lashes, however, need more maintenance. A solvent product is required to remove lashes and as natural lashes fall out, replacement false lashes need to be applied.
- time-strip lashes are relatively easy to apply and may add a further 10 minutes to a makeup application time. Individual lashes on the other hand may add a further 30 minutes to makeup application time, depending on how many are applied.